As a volunteer at the Aloe Vera Burn Centre for Children in Mariamakunda you will be executing burn-wound treatments according to our protocols only. You will perform these treatments in collaboration with our local staff. Our Gambian staff speak English. It is important to us that the mutual respect is held up high. We aim to have volunteers that do not impose their views on ours staff or on the family living there. Exchanging thoughts is constructive.
The duration and frequency of treatment depends on the severity of the burn wound. Other than treating wounds you could do informative workshops about our burns treatment to surrounding villages, their schools and local healers.
- Available for a period of at least 3 months;
- Capable to be alone in a, at times, very quiet setting;
- Willing to help with whatever comes your way to a reasonable extend;
- Capable of communication in good English;
- You must have the curiosity to learn about culture and respectfully acknowledge it ;
- You shall be emotionally and mentally stable and able to hide your emotions when a patient’s well being depends on it;
- Medical background is a plus but not a must;
- You will be physically fit. The job is not physically demanding but the heat and different environment can be challenging.
- You can provide the Foundation with a recent Proof of Good Behavior document issued by your authorities;
- You can sign a document being responsible for your own health and well-being ;
- You are willing to sign the protocol for volunteers “Inzet vrijwilligers Stichting Care for Natural”
There are three possibilities ;
- Location Mariamakunda; you can have a room at the Umbrella hut. The building has solar electricity, clean potable water, a neat toilet with a shower and free Wifi. You can do shopping at a local market and at a Fula shop at a stone’s throw from us.When staying at this accommodation you are required to pay €100.-/,month for cleaning and upkeep. The accommodation is offered free of charge, food is at your own expense. The caretakers of our land may offer the possibility for you to eat with them. Please in that case pay your share.
- Depending on availability,there may be a possibility to spend the weekends, against payment, in Kololi at Busy Bee Apartment.
- Location Kololi: you can reside at studios above the training centre in Kololi. The studios have their own bathroom, kitchenette and fridge, warm water, tv, an outside sun terrace and Wifi. Kololi is the tourist part of the Gambia so entertainment is available nearby. You can reach Mariamakunda with local transport, costing € 1,25 a day This accommodation is offered to you for €100,-/week, including laundry and cleaning.
- You can of course also find your own accommodation elsewhere. Prices and services vary.
- Indicative cost volunteer as per 2019
- Flight ticket FTI from Leipzig € 440,- (two-way)
- Vaccinations €150,- (one time)
- Malaria prevention : € 17,00,- per week ( cheaper methods may be available)
- Declaration of Good Behavior:+/- € 35,- (once)
- Indicative cost of living : € 25,- per week
- Security deposit ABCC2: € 100,- (once and refundable )
Are you interested to become a volunteer for the Aloe Vera Burn Centre for Children and if you think our profile fit yours? Please send a letter of motivation, your CV and the filled out questionnaire via our contact page.
After receiving your profile, we will contact you within 14 days. If your profile suits our Foundation’s needs, we will make an appointment with you to get better acquainted. We will inform you more about the activities you will be doing and we will go deeper into certain matters.
Due to the nature of this work, we are following a selection procedure. This procedure is set up to serve your interest as well as ours. It’s important to all parties to work towards a successful and satisfactory cooperation. We are looking for stable, enthusiastic and well motivated individuals.